Estate Lawyers Helping You Safeguard Your Financial Future
Family owned and operated since 2002, Cassady Law Offices, P.C., provides asset protection services to individuals in Las Vegas, in Henderson and throughout Southern Nevada. Our firm utilizes traditional and cutting-edge planning tools to help our clients keep their assets beyond the reach of creditors and financially destructive circumstances such as lawsuits, catastrophic illness and divorce. You do not have to be wealthy to benefit from these tools; if you have any assets, you should consider protecting them.
Comprehensive Asset Protection Options
Our founding attorney, Jasen Cassady, is a certified financial planner with an advanced degree in taxation law from the University of Florida, one of the top programs in the United States. This background allows him to effectively advise and protect individuals with substantial assets, beneficiaries of trust funds, business owners and those in high-risk professions.
Our lawyers will work closely with you to identify your specific goals and concerns so we can tailor an asset protection plan to your specific needs. Some options you may consider include:
- Nevada asset protection trust — This trust is designed to protect doctors, lawyers, construction company owners and others in high-risk professions. We will review your situation to determine if a Nevada asset protection trust (also called a self-settled spendthrift trust) would help minimize any liability associated with legal or medical malpractice or other legal claims.
- Limited liability companies (LLCs) — Organizing a limited liability company (LLC) can protect doctors, lawyers, owners of rental properties and others from risk to their personal property. This proactive measure separates a business owner’s personal property from the business’s property, so that only business assets are exposed when legal claims are made against the company.
- Prenuptial agreements — If you have children or significant assets and are considering getting married, you need to make your wishes clear as to who should receive those assets in the event of a divorce.
Answers To Common Questions About Asset Protection
Below, we’ve provided answers to some of the most frequent questions we receive from clients. After reading, we invite you contact us for answers to your own questions.
What kinds of assets can be protected?
A great many assets can be protected, depending on the specific legal instrument you utilize. They include things like:
- Retirement savings
- Real estate equity (whether in your home or in other owned real estate)
- Business assets and overall business value
- College funds and other money set aside for your children’s education
These are just a few of many examples. We can provide feedback on your own asset protection options during an initial consultation.
What are the advantages of establishing a trust in Nevada?
Nevada is one of the most favorable places in the country to establish an asset protection trust. Since 1999, Nevada laws have allowed trust grantors the ability to create a trust that protects their own assets from their own future creditors (rather than simply protecting assets on behalf of another beneficiary). Ours is one of only a few states to allow this. When assets are transferred to a self-settled trust in Nevada, they become shielded from creditors more quickly than in other states, which is another advantage.
When should I begin asset protection planning?
If you have significant assets to protect or expect to come into significant assets soon (through an inheritance, for example), now is a great time to start the asset protection process. As with all major financial decisions, it is far easier and more effective to be proactive than to be reactive.
Do I need asset protection planning if I have insurance coverage?
Some forms of insurance can be part of your overall asset protection strategy. However, insurance alone typically cannot offer the same level of protection as a trust or other legal instruments. The tools and strategies you use will depend on your assets and your goals for them, so it’s best to consult with an experienced attorney.
Contact Our Henderson Wills And Trusts Attorneys
Our experienced attorneys can help you understand your asset protection options and explore which measures will provide you the most benefit. Contact us by email or call us at 800-557-6423 or 702-706-1083 to schedule a free 30-minute consultation with one of our Las Vegas asset protection lawyers. We look forward to speaking with you.